Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lasagna Spirals

The other morning I was watching The Early Show on channel 7, and they had a segment on dinners that freeze well for easy meals during a busy week.  They had a recipe for Lasagna Spirals, here.

It looked so delicious and super easy I just knew I had to try it.  Survivor Wednesday was coming up, and that would be a perfect time to make it for more then just Me and Mike and Angelina.  And it worked out so well, everyone loved it, even Angelina (who is very picky)

I'm going to run through the recipe quickly, since I left the link to the real one.  :-)  I did add my own spin to the end.

Ingredients:

10 Lasagna Noodles (basically a whole box, I can get about 14 of them rolled, so make the whole box)
1 pound Ricotta (16oz)
10oz bag of spinach  (I used a whole bag of frozen spinach which is 12oz and it was fine)
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
6 Basil leaves chopped (First time I made this I left these out, 2nd time I added them in and couldn't tell the difference)
1 egg beaten
1 Garlic Clove
Salt and Pepper
Tomato Sauce (1 jar, or whatever else you want to use)
Optional: Ground Beef, Ground Turkey, or Chicken

Boil water with about a teaspoon of olive oil in a pot big enough for the long noodles.  Works best to boil them for about 7ish mins, I did it longer the first time and they get slimy and rip when you take them out of the pot.
I prepare a baking dish (9x12) by spreading a bit of tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan, this prevents the noodles from sticking.
As that is boiling I mix everything else together.  Then I take out the noodles and lay them out on a paper towel.  Once they are cool enough to handle, I take a couple of spoonfuls of the mixture and spread it on the noodle covering most of it, then roll it up, and place on a pan cut side down. 
Then take the rest of your sauce and pour that on top.  Bake for 35mins at 350.  Near the end take some cheese and sprinkle it on top if you'd like. 

That's pretty much it, very easy, and very tasty. 

My Spin:  My Dad is a meat eater, so I cooked up some ground beef and added that to the tomato sauce.  I made this recipe again tonight and I added bits of chicken into the ricotta mixture, and made Alfredo sauce for the top, that was very delicious.  So basically you can do pretty much whatever you'd like with this recipe, just have fun with it!!!

Here's some pictures to go by as well!  Let me know what you think, and if you are going to try it!

Ricotta Mixture

Little bit of tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking

Rolling up the noodles

Place cut side down on the pan

In the pan with ground beef and tomato sauce mixture

Done cooking with some cheese melted on top (Add near the end)

Deliciousness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment